Sunday, May 24, 2009

Finding a Direction

 

image

For long I had this dilemma about explaining dissatisfaction with the work or rather explaining where one is and where one wants to be. Most of our population, around 45-55 percent including me, comprises of the youth. Considering our vantage point when it comes to economical superiority, the entire hope lies on this population. It is natural that we should have enough opportunities for job so that we retain our talent. Perfectly fine. But there is always a hidden cost. Do we all live to our true potential? I mean, do we all achieve what we can truly achieve? I do not think so. I have had ample experiences and from these empirical data, I have finally been able to graph out what I think is the dilemma. We join an organization because, it pays well, it provides and economical safety and provides us with a status in society. But the most important benefit is that it helps us do what we like to do. Being in any organization and not liking the work is the worst thing to happen. You are pounded with work and responsibilities alike and you have to do it simply because there is no other alternative. This is what is depicted by Opportunity Cost (A). The resources we need to forego to be in this stage is too high. As we start liking the work or getting into things that we actually like doing, the Opportunity Cost (A) reduces because we make more meaningful use of our knowledge and resources. As we move on this curve, we get on to another curve, where again the Opportunity Cost (B) increases. At this stage one fully utilizes one’s knowledge in a work that one feels one should be doing. The Opportunity Cost is simply the reward paid by the Organization to retain the talent.

I tried my best explaining a point but there is a high probability that I might have sounded too esoteric. Nevertheless, the bottom line is, “Do the work that you really like and want to be doing”.

No comments: